Carlotta was originally launched as “The Solway” at the W.H. Halford yard in Gloucester at the head of the Bristol Channel in 1899.
Halford built at least two other Bristol Channel pilot cutters on similar lines to the Solway: including the “Britannia”, and the “St.Bee’s”.
Carlotta is the sole remaining example from the Halford’s yard. Carlotta’s construction was monitored closely by a retired Pilot.
When completed she was put to work in Maryport and Whitehaven as a fisheries police boat under license number ‘2’. In 1907 she was replaced by a steam driven vessel and as a result sold off as a yacht.